Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Horse Pucky!!!!

My wife and I enjoy watching HGTV and all the renovation projects that they do.  For me, I get good ideas for my own little construction company, and see different techniques, good and bad, that are fun to watch (beware of anyone who claims to know it all), but mostly I like to see how utterly unrealistic the budgets are.

I just watched an episode where the reno budget for an older home was $177,000.  for this money they would take out a huge all brick fireplace and chimney, build a new fireplace and chimney in a different location (large view through with expensive hearth and mantle.  Doing this opens up the kitchen to the living room.   The new kitchen will require all new cabinets, appliances, flooring, etc.  this will also require relocating the plumbing and tearing our a lot of concrete to do it.  For these two phases alone I did my own little estimating:
Demo fireplace and kitchen-$5000
Build new premium fireplace-$15,000
Patch roof-$500
New roofing-$10,000
Custom cabinets-$15,000
Granite counter tops-$8000
High end tile back splash-$4500
Viking and Subzero appliances-$20,000
New high end flooring through out-$25,000

This totals up to be $103,000.  This is assuming no complications and no profit for the contractors on most if not all of it.  So your probably thinking, "yeah but, there is still $74,000 left in the budget", yes, yes there is.  Now, if only I had pictures of the Master Bath and Bedroom remodel.  All I can say is, WOW!  Beautiful stone tile on the expanded bath areas that went up the walls and, in some areas, covered a new arched ceiling.  The large soaker tub, wet shower area, custom antique cabinet and stone counter tops, This could have easily been a $70,000 bathroom.  Everything was high dollar.


I was very impressed with the craftsmanship, the design elements of the whole thing, but, I just cannot believe the place was completed within the budget given.  Not sure how these folks do it, perhaps they make their money from the TV networks.  Perhaps I'm just a bad estimator?  I've certainly made my fair share of estimating blunders, but usually on the LOW side.   The fact is this was a very high end remodel, complete with appliances, furniture, wall art and other decorative elements that was probably $20,000-$30,000 on top of everything else.

Oh well, it's still fun to watch.  Was that out loud?


No comments:

Post a Comment